Answered By: Aziz Aboueleinin Last Updated: Jul 30, 2020 Views: 10
Waterloo students, faculty and staff can login to the HathiTrust Digital Library by:
- clicking the yellow LOG IN button in the top right corner of the page.
- Find and select the University of Waterloo in the list of partner institutions.
- Login with your Waterloo e-mail and password.
- When you have successfully logged in, you will be returned to the HathiTrust website.
- Enter your search terms in the search bar and select the “Search HathiTrust” button to submit your search. Please note that you must deselect ‘Full view only’, which is the default search option, if you want to search for in-copyright titles.
- When your search results load, you may see the following in your search results:
- In-copyright materials that have the label “Temporary Access”: are made available to you temporarily. You can only read these books online. Select the “Temporary Access” link to open the material and on the next screen, click “Check Out”.
- Works in the public domain that have the label “Full View”: you have regular access to these books, which includes being able to read and download the entire material. Select the “Full View” link to open the material.
- Books that have the label “Limited (search-only)”: are restricted, and you cannot read or download them, even through the Emergency Temporary Access Service. You can, however, search within the books.
Detailed instructions (including how to use the service on a phone or tablet) are available here: https://www.hathitrust.org/ETAS-How-To.
For more information, please visit our HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service page